Wednesday, June 25, 2008

On the State of Popular Political Thinking

Here's an apt quote I came across in my readings recently:
Under the name of rhetoric, is taught the art of speaking before teaching the art of thinking; and that of good expression before the students have any ideas to express.

Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
The quote itself is directed at the state of education in pre-Enlightenment Europe during the 18th century and it reminded me of political education and expression plaguing Lebanon today (well not just today, but today is what we're interested in).

The quote came up while I was pondering on the question: Can a reasoned/logical argument be made by those who claim to support a Lebanese state (secular or otherwise) and Hizballah in its current state (especially after the attacks it inflicted in May)?

Maybe I'll make the question the subject of the next poll, but for the moment my own answer to that question is a resounding NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.