Monday, February 26, 2007

Christian Reflections

Ever since January 23rd, when the country's political battles took the form of an 'unexpected' confrontation on the streets of the country's predominantly Christian municipalities, the Christian community in Lebanon (rather those who view their communal and/or political affiliation on the basis of their Christian sect) has been all too aware - and resentful - of one event that brought that day's conflict, and the threat of prolonging the crisis it precipitated, to an end: a telephone call from Tehran, and the Saudi-Iranian talks that preceded that call.
The above caricature is a reflection of the resentful mood that is currently being felt in that community...I found it kind of funny.

Translation: Charlatans! One's turned Sunni while the other's turned Shiite.

(H/T My Beloved Lebanon)

8 comments:

  1. I think it's funny although not accurate and very simplistic concerning Geagea and Aoun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats true, but I think its accuracy lies in its ability to capture a mood, not to fully reflect these men's political stances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:20 PM

    I heard that emile lahoud became a shiite and never visits a church except the official mar maroun, maybe aoun too is following him. Maybe, to become president you need to turn shiite @ some point from 1998 to 2000 the president (lahoud) the PM (hoss), the speeker (berri) were all shiites. Looks like these conditions are a Syrian imperative for Lebanon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arabic Coffee Pot11:18 PM

    Hrawi was Shiite too so that he could divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Backsmith Jade,
    re: your linking to news.
    Do you know about openlebanon.org?

    I would hope that they would provide you with a feed but I have not seen it, you might want to write to them.

    That site goes out and checks with many lebanonesse sites. (it should provide a RSS feed but I did not see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a good idea Crazyman! Thanks for the suggestion.

    I know OpenLebanon has been having trouble reading feeds but it didn't occur to me to publish their feed! I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. يسعدنا تشريفك
    www.blogs4arab.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. NeuralElf3:30 AM

    If possible, I would like some advice from the bloggers here about moving to Lebanon from America.

    I don't see any emails listed under the profiles. Please contact me at my yahoo email (thewasteland@...) and I'll reply with some more detailed information.

    Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.